Skip to main content

The Miracle that is... Makeup!

It's no secret that women have a full plate, that we wear many hats, and have many people depending on us whether we have a husband and/or children or not.  I wrote recently about being busy, and there's a reason we call ourselves Wonder Woman.  I look at my own calender and wonder how I'm going to get it all done.

Within this life of responsibilities, it's sometimes a wonder we get a shower every day, much less get our hair fixed and, dare I say, put on makeup!  I have to admit that over the past year (or longer) I have become very lax in putting on makeup before leaving the house for work, errands, and sometimes - even church services (Wednesday nights only, thank you).

Some days, like today, it's very hard for me to even get out of bed and get going, thanks to my new nemesis - Fibromyalgia.  So in an effort to get to work on time (yeah, right) I skip the makeup and head out.  But then every time I walk past a mirror, I feel, oh I don't know, old, ugly, tired, sore, pathetic.  I know, it's crazy.  My looks should not determine how I feel about  myself.  But let's be honest here, ladies.  Makeup makes us feel pretty!

The last week, even though I have still not been able to get makeup on before I walked out of the house, I was quick enough to grab a cosmetics bag full of the the necessities plus a few more things to take with me.  Then, after I get to work I'll put on my "face".  I cannot tell you how it lifts my spirits to feel like I look alive, younger, happier, brighter.  Again, crazy.  But true.

I remember when I was first allowed to wear makeup.  It was 6th grade.  And no one really taught me how to apply it.  Looking back, I know I had to look hideous!  Baby blue eye shadow from lash to brow - with brown eyes no less!  Why would someone even let me walk out the door looking like that?  But over the years I have learned to perfect my application and have become a bit of a beauty product junkie.  I have more make up than any one woman who is not a makeup artist should have.  And cannot bear to part with any of it.  Every time I wear it differently depending on my outfit and my mood.  To me, it's an accessory.  And an art.

My husband (and most of yours, too) cannot understand why I need 120 palettes of shadow, 5 mascaras, countless eye and lip liners, and let's not even get into the lip sticks, glosses, stains, etc. etc. etc.  Similarly, he cannot understand why I need more than 3 pairs of shoes, or scarves, or anything else.  Is he kidding?!  But he does notice when I do not wear makeup.  He usually asks me if I'm feeling alright.

So, my point is:  The miracle of makeup is not that it changes what I look like or paints me up.  It's that it gives me a confidence about myself that I don't always have "bare-faced".  Sort of like dressing up for a party.  Everyone feels different on the inside when they get to wear their nice clothes and go out.  It's not about being better than anyone else or looking better than anyone else.  It's about being your best You, all the time.  Kind of like "dressing for the job you want".  When you feel your best on the outside, your best on the inside rises to the surface.

Here's to being the best You - every day.

Much love~

Comments

  1. I love this!! How true is it that men question our need for makeup and accessories then ask what the deal is when we're lacking those things?!
    I didn't know that you had a blog! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of School

Today is the first day of the school year 2011-2012.  We still have four of the six children in school.  This year we have at least one child in every school: Joey in elementary, Jess in middle, and Sis and Chas in High School.  For three of them it is a "momentous" year: last year in elementary for Joey, last year in middle for Jess and first year of high school for Sis.  Chas believes this is a special year for her, too; since she's a Junior she thinks she's an upperclassman.  But I remember that for Seniors, no one is an upperclassman but them. I remember being in school and the excitement of the first day back every year.  There is something about new school supplies that still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to this day.  Everything is crisp and shiny and has that "fresh from the store" smell.  There are no pen marks on the binders, no crumpled wide-ruled notebook paper.  All the pencils are the same length, the end erasers still pristine.   Everything

Fibro Fighting

Here you will find some of my tried and true remedies and therapies (sometimes - because if you have fibromyalgia you know that with this disease it can change it's symptoms and/or what works one day may not work the next).  Please feel free to comment on and add your methods of dealing with your symptoms on my posts!  I'm always interested in learning new ways to help myself and others and hopefully we can all help each other get a little relief and try to live a little better quality of life. 1. Healthy eating.  Find what foods trigger your symptoms and cut them from your diet as much as possible or completely.  Wheat, sugar, milk and caffeine are culprits for me.  I'm not always the best at keeping them out of my mouth, but I do limit them pretty well.  I definitely feel the difference when I slip, and it is enough for me to keep an eye on my diet because the downtime stinks. 2.  Get enough rest.  Listen to your body and take the rest you need!  Don'